Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You Are A Flighty One

This time last week, I was extremely giddy.  For 'twas the day that Adam Green descended on to Belfast terrain to give a musical performance!

This isn't going to be a gig review.  Merely a collection of my memories (which are few) of the evening.  I'm nowhere near coherent or objective enough to write a review.

The evening started as it meant to go on - a few pints of the Wife Beater avec Emma (who took the amazing photo you can see above), my fellow Band Botherer (don't ask).  Having only intended to have "one or two", I managed, by the time my lovely friend Clara came to meet us at 8pm, to be TROLLEYED.  The drinking continued until, at last, Mr Green was ready to come on stage.  Having already stationed ourselves in the middle of the front row, we ensured that Adam himself interacted with us on a very regular basis.

The tour was to promote his new album, 'Minor Love', which, I have to say, I have MAJOR Love for (AH-HA!).  He played quite a few songs off it (my particular highlight being 'What Makes Him Act So Bad'), but in no way neglected his older stuff, going way to back to his debut album 'Garfield'.  Indeed, during a lull in both music and crowd noise, I yelled (YELLED) at Adam to play 'White Women', a song that makes me go weak at the knees due to both its racy content and Adam's incredibly Jim Morrison-esque delivery.  So what happened?  Did he ignore me and go to the next song on the setlist?  DID HE FUCK.  He looked me in the eye, and sang the opening lines: "You know I wanna bone you, I wanna make a hole in you".  I was lucky there was a crowd of people holding me up against the barrier, as I would have died a slow and lustful death right there on the floor.

The gig itself was typically chaotic.  Reminiscent of a shambolic Pete Doherty show (except, y'know, good), Adam was more often on the floor in front of the stage or in the crowd than on the actual stage itself.  Crowdsurfing from the beginning (I ended up on the floor at one point due to being overwhelmed by having to hold him up), the poor sod found himself minus a rather attractive red shoe at one point - which was thankfully returned.  Hugs and kisses were a-plenty - never have I touched a man that I wasn't entitled to more in my life. 

Having watched a couple of videos of his recent shows on YouTube before the gig, I have to admit I was apprehensive about the quality of performance he would give.  I have seen him once before, supporting The Strokes back in 2006, but being obscenely excited at the prospect of seeing the main act he sort of passed me by.  I was wrong, very wrong.  Despite obviously being on a concoction of alcohol and drugs that would stun a large elephant, his voice was on form (in fact what I love about him is that you don't expect his voice.  Know what I mean?  He doesn't look like he could sing the way he does...he channels Morrison, Sinatra and Bowie all at once.  DEAR GOD), and he seemed genuinely impressed by the crowd's reaction.  Clumsy as ever though, he managed to knock my vodka out of my hand as he was dancing past me.  As he returned to the stage, he opened a bottle of Beck's and jumped back down and handed it to me.  I couldn't believe it!  Such a simple gesture...but very much appreciated.

The gig ended, and we found ourselves stumbling away from the stage in a daze, drenched in other people's drinks and the sweat of Adam Green.  I haven't washed since*.  Personally, I was completely overwhelmed at what I had just witnessed.  I still am a bit, if I'm honest.  And that's the sign of an amazing gig. 

*I have, actually.  Several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment